A perfect combination of crunchy meringue, creamy cream and fresh summer fruits. A great way to round off a summer meal.
You'll need the following ingredients
- 6 ready-made meringues
- 400ml of double cream
- 800g of fresh strawberries, hulled
- a sprig of fresh mint
Here's what to do
- Whip the double cream until stiff but don't go crazy as over-whipped cream can become dry and crumbly.
- Crush the meringues in to bite-sized pieces over the bowl (a great activity for kids!) and fold in to the cream
- Crush three quarters of the strawberries with a fork or potato masher and fold in to the cream/meringue mix
- Serve and garnish with the remaining strawberries and mint leaves
- Best served straight after preparation
- add a tablespoon of ginger cordial to the mix for more zing
- add a dash of port to the mix for a more boozy creation
- try changing the fruit - bananas, mangoes, pineapple and raspberries all taste great
- to add a caffeine hit, sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of finely ground coffee in to the cream and replace the strawberries with oranges or an alternative fruit of your choice. You could try soaking the fruit in Tia Maria beforehand for added bite. Garnish with with a sprinkle of cocoa powder and a couple of whole coffee beans on top.
Click here for a printable pdf version of this recipe
Why not take your Eton Mess on a picnic? It's perfect to assemble in the great outdoors! Our Outdoor Dining collection contains a range of beautifully crafted picnic hampers and baskets, as well as picnicware like the environmentally-friendly Husk bowls below which come in a pack of 4 and are made from the outer husks of rice!