A new take on pancakes - cook them on the BBQ!
We love to cook up some pancakes at the weekend as a breakfast treat. We were looking for a dessert to cook on the BBQ one evening and thought we'd give these a try!
We tried both a cast iron frying pan and a regular baking tray as our base to cook on. Both worked well, although forming a nice round pancake on the baking try proved a challenge and those came out somewhat larger than the ones made in the frying pan! We ended up using the pan for individual pancakes and then also tried a double pancake for two people on the baking tray which actually worked surprisingly well!
To complete our pancakes we grilled some pineapple and banana on the coals and chopped and wrapped these in the pancakes as fillings with cream and chocolate chips respectively. Delicious!
Here's our favourite pancake recipe:
You'll need the following ingredients
- 2 cups of plain flour
2 tablespoons of caster sugar
2 - 3 cups of milk
1 tablespoon of oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
A pinch of salt
Here's what to do
1. Add all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
2. Add the eggs and mix with the dry ingredients until it resembles breadcrumb
3. Pour in the milk a bit at a time and mix until a batter consistency is achieved (pourable off a spoon but not too watery)
4. Add the oil and vanilla and stir well
5. Add a drop of oil to the frying pan and pour enough of the mixture for one pancake (approx 1 cup)
6. Swirl the batter around the pan to ensure an even coating on the base of the frying pan
7. Fry both sides until even golden brown patches appear
8. Serve on a plate, add the filling and roll up. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy!
Try one of these top toppings on your yummy pancakes
- The Classic English: squeeze quarter of a lemon over the pancake and sprinkle with sugar
- The Classic Canadian: top with fried bacon and drizzle with Maple syrup
- Chocoholic's Choice: melt chocolate pieces in a bowl over some boiling water on the hob and then spread on an unrolled pancake. Roll and drizzle more chocolate or cream on top for good measure. Dust with icing sugar.
- Healthier Option: squeeze quarter of a lemon over the pancake, lay some berries on one side and roll it up.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.